Clerk’s Office


Go to Polk County Clerk Online

Main Office:
Polk County Courthouse | 6239 Hwy 411 – #102 | Benton, Tennessee 37307
Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday
Phone: 423-338-4526
Fax: 423-338-4551

Marriage Licenses are issued in Benton Office Mon-Fri 8:30 a.m. to 4:00p.m. and in the Copperbasin Community Center Office Tuesday & Thursday 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Driver Licenses issued ONLY in the Benton Office Mon-Fri 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Satellite Office:
Copper Basin Community Center |Ducktown, Tennessee 37326
Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays
Phone: 423-496-3342


Vehicle Registration

Business Licenses

Marriage Licenses – Application

Marriage licenses are issued  in the Benton and Copperbasin Community Center Offices
In the Benton Office = Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
In the Copperbasin Community Center Office = Tuesday and Thursday from 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

  • You may apply for your marriage license Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. at the Benton Office and on Tuesday and Thursday from 8:30 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. at the Copperbasin Community Center Office.
  • The license fee is $95.00. The cost is reduced to $35.00 if the couple completes a premarital preparation course from a qualified instructor and submit the Pre-Marital Preparation Certificate of Completion form when applying for the license (the instructor’s signature must be notarized.)
  • Social Security number must be given. (T.C.A. 36-3-104) If there is no social security number, the applicant must provide proof of foreign citizenship. (A.G. Opinion 98-005) The applicant will need to show a foreign passport, immigration or visa papers.
  • Both the bride and groom must appear in the office to sign the permanent record book.
  • There is no waiting period. The license must be used within 30 days from the date of issue.
  • The State of Tennessee does not require a blood test.
  • Both parties must be 18 years of age or older. A driver’s license or  valid photo ID is required for identification.
  • A license issued in Polk County is valid throughout the State of Tennessee.

Notary Applications

  • Applications are accepted Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. at the Benton Office and on Tuesday and Thursday from 8:30 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. at the Copperbasin Community Center Office .
  • Notaries Public are elected by the County Commission to a four year term. Your application, bond and $12.00 fee must be received in the Benton office before the third Wednesday of the month. The application must be notarized.
  • A $10,000.00 bond for the term of office is required.
  • The notary public must purchase a seal. (rubber stamp) Available at most office supply companies.
  • Notary Application
  • Additional information: Tennessee Notary Public Handbook

Boat Registration

  • The County Clerk collects sales tax on boat transactions between individuals.
  • Boats are registered through the Tennessee Wildlife Resource Agency.
  • When you purchase a boat from an individual you will need to bring a notarized bill of sale signed by both the seller and purchaser to our office. We will collect the applicable tax and certify to T.W.R.A. that sales tax was paid. If you purchased your boat from a Tennessee boat dealer, they will make the certification to the T.W.R.A.
  • Moving your boat to Tennessee? Please Read.

Trailer RegistrationPlease read these guidelines